Hope you are enjoying the holidays!! I hope this post helps you to get rid of negative thoughts as we enter into a New Year. Rejuvenate your mind the best is yet to come!!
When having negative thoughts it is so hard to stop them. The challenge in overcoming negative thoughts is finding a way to refocus your mind on the positive and being persistent in the training. Positive thinking doesn’t mean that you keep your head in the clouds and ignore life’s problems, but instead, it means that you approach “life” in a more positive and productive way. You think and know the best is going to happen, not the worst. Below are a few actions that will help you to empower yourself through positive thoughts and self-gratifying actions.
1. Mediate. Try to incorporate meditation into your daily life. This will help to focus your thoughts on things that are really important, as well as, help in accomplishing your goals.
2. Pray. One could choose to pray privately, individually, or corporately in the presence of fellow believers. More importantly, prayer can be integrated into a daily “thought life”, in which one is in constant communication with a god. Some people pray throughout all that is happening during the day and continually seek guidance as the day progresses, according to Wikipedia.
3. Surround yourself with positive people. It is hard to think on positive thoughts when the people in your circle are so great at highlighting everything negative. Therefore, surround yourself with people who understand that although the glass is not currently full, it can still get there. I am not suggesting that you should live in a fairy-tale land, but be optimistic. Things are not as bad as they could be!
4. Replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. I know this is easier said than done. However, when you find yourself surrounded by negative thoughts, refuse to settle your mind on them. Usually, they are not true, it’s simply our imagination exaggerating situations.
5. Be accountable for your actions. Don’t blame others for your mistakes. Own the fact that you made a bad choice, or two. We strive for perfection, but sometimes we don’t accomplish the goal as soon as we would have liked. That is okay. You have the choice right now to make a change in your thinking, which will affect how you live life every day.
6. Forgive yourself. Don’t dwell on the mistakes. Learn from them and move forward with the new knowledge and understanding of how to make better decisions. You cannot change the past, but you can dictate your future.
7. Forgive others. People hurt me, but I have been learning more and more, with each passing day, to let it go. They have moved on with their lives and here I am stuck on what happened 2 years ago. Moving on doesn’t mean you give people license to hurt you repeatedly, but it gives you peace to walk in tomorrow.
8. Be grateful. Learning to be grateful helps you appreciate what you already have. When you have an attitude of gratitude you don’t have time to complain. I know it seems really weird, but changing your perspective will decrease negative thoughts.
a. Negative Thought: Ugh why is it raining today
b. Positive Thought: Thank you Lord for the rain. You are always providing food for me.
9. Help Others. Give back to the community by donating to a local food drive or even serving food to the homeless. Visit someone at the nursing home or hospital. You feel so much better when helping others in need.
10. Love Yourself. The fact that you read through this entire article tells me one thing: That you have a mind to stop the negative thinking and embrace a brighter tomorrow. I know you love yourself because you are willing to do what it takes to protect and enhance your life. Never stop loving yourself. Look in the mirror and know that you are worth it! That you are loved by God!
Having a positive outlook on life enables you to better deal with stressful situations, which can reduce the amount of stress on your body. Make a commitment today to GET RID OF STINKING THINKING!!