When asking, “What can I wear as a woman of modesty?” The true question is not how far I can go before I cross the modesty lines, but instead, how will my attire bring glory to God? Thus, there is no cut and dry answer as to what to wear. Instead, your attitude toward pleasing God should be addressed. The older I become, the more I realize, my attitude and motives toward pleasing God are exemplified in many forms in my life. One of those forms being the clothing that I choose to wear. Simply, the question of modesty is addressed in your heart. If you love the Lord, then you will not look for loopholes to wear the clothing that does not glorify God. You recognize that your body is a temple of the Lord.
“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own”… (1 Corinthians 6:19 NIV).
Here are few tips, in no particular order, to help you determine your modesty limit:
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit what you should wear to glorify and honor Him.
- Wear clothing that complements your body type.
- Don’t wear clothing that expose excessive flesh/skin, such cleavage or leaving too much of your legs uncovered.
- Wear fashionable modest clothing that represents your personality by using colors, patterns, and etc.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. Remember to keep the focus on God.
Photo taken by Rachael Woods.